Solving social and civic problems using technology, data, and digital tools.
The SDG Hackathon 2019, sponsored by Jazz, will bring together a mix of technologists, designers, urban planners, social scientists, NGOs and CSOs, and government, to approach and solve social and civic problems in a new way, using technology, data and digital tools.
During the hackathon, you will work in teams to create solutions, learn design thinking, open-source hacking for social good, receive mentoring and input from domain experts in government and local organizations, and have opportunities to network.
Over the course of two-and-a-half days, you will develop prototypes that tackle and address social and civic challenges in your communities related to the following five SDGs:
- SDG 3 - Good Health and Well-Being
- SDG 4 - Quality Education
- SDG 5 - Gender Equality
- SDG 9 - Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- SDG 11 - Sustainable Cities and Communities
Attendance is free. All you need to do is bring your creativity, skills, and enthusiasm! We at, Code for Pakistan, will do the rest.
DAY 1: Friday, December 06, 2019
05:00 PM - 06:00 PM - Registration + Tea + Networking
06:00 PM - 06:10 PM - Code for Pakistan Intro
06:10 PM - 06:20 PM - Intro by Jazz
06:20 PM - 06:30 PM - Hackathon overview (Event Guidelines, Participation Rules, Judging Criteria)
06:30 PM - 08:30 PM - Team Formation
DAY 2: Saturday, December 07, 2019
09:00 AM - 10:00 AM - Registration + Tea + Networking
10:00 AM - 10:30 AM - Jazz Ui/UX workshop
10:30 AM -10:40 AM - Introduction to Git and Github
10:00 AM - 01:00 PM - Ideation + Hacking + Mentoring
01:00 PM - 02:00 PM - Lunch Break
02:30 PM - 05:00 PM - Ideation + Hacking + Mentoring
05:00 PM - 05:30 PM - Tea Break
05:30 PM - 8:00 PM - Hacking + Mentoring
08:00 PM - 08:30 PM - Dinner Break
09:00 PM - Day Closing
DAY 3: Sunday, December 08, 2019
09:00 AM - 09:30 AM - Registration + Tea + Networking
09:30 AM - 10:00 AM - Talk: Storytelling and How to Pitch
10:00 AM - 10:15 AM - Pitching Rules + Judging Criteria + Submission on DevPost and GitHub
10:15 AM - 01:00 PM - Hacking
01:00 PM - 02:00 PM - Final Submission (DevPost and GitHub)
02:00 PM - 02:45 PM - Lunch Break
03:00 PM - 06:00 PM - Final Demos and Judging
06:00 PM - 06:30 PM - Tea Break
06:40 PM - 06:50 PM - Award Ceremony: Opening
06:50 PM - 07:00 PM - Opening note by OPEN Islamabad
07:00 PM - 07:10 PM - Opening note by Jazz, Syed Ali Naseer, Chief Corporate & Enterprise Officer
07:10 PM - 07:15 PM - Address by Hamza Shafqaat, Deputy Commissioner, Islamabad
07:15 PM - 07:20 PM - Address by Huawei CEO, Mr. Saif Chi
07:20 PM - 07:30 PM - Keynote Speech by Chief Guest
07:30 PM - 08:00 PM - Announcement of Awards
08:00 PM - 08:05 PM - Closing note by Code for Pakistan
08:05 PM - 09:00 PM - Dinner
PKR300,000 in prizes
First Place - ₨150,000
Second Place - ₨100,000
Third Place - ₨50,000
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
- Everyone with passion for improving community through technology solutions is encouraged to apply to this SDG Hackathon. We encourage diversity (gender, skillsets, backgrounds, both professionals and university students, etc.).
- You do not need to have technical skills to participate. We encourage diverse backgrounds to apply, including open source developers, graphic designers, product managers, researchers, data analysts, civic innovators, subject matter experts in the fields of health, education, poverty alleviation, social change, environment, and other community services, etc.
- Participation in the Hackathon is FREE, but admission is open only to those accepted from the pool of applicants. Please do NOT register here if you were not accepted.
When you’re ready to enter your submission, go to https://isbhacks2019.devpost.com home page and click CREATE A SUBMISSION. You can also start this process and save a draft of your submission as you’re working on it.
- Make sure your code is fully functional; it compiles and runs without any major issues.
- Make sure to include good screenshots.
- Write a clear, detailed description of your application.
- Include the link to the public GitHub repo.
- Include the link to the prototype demo site.
- We recommend not creating presentation slides, but instead focusing all your time on creating a functioning demo.
- On the submission form, list all your team members by their DevPost usernames.
Syed Ahmed Masud
CEO Change Mechanics
CEO, Emumba Private Limited
Social Development Specialist, World Bank
Head of Solutions Mapping Innovation AccLab - UNDP Pakistan
Head of Safety and Security, Jazz
All the development work on the project must be done during the hackathon time period.
Does the project solve a relevant problem for the targeted SDG(s)?
User experience must be intuitive and clear
Does your solution solve a problem in a novel way?
Sustainability and Scalability
Is the solution sustainable and scalable?
DevPost and GitHub
Your DevPost submission must be completed before 2:00pm on Sunday. The submission MUST include a link to GitHub source repository.
- Social Good